Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 2: Pashupati

I started out my day today with a walk around surrounding Kathmandu to help acquaint myself to the area. I live very close by to the Boudha Supta so I decided to revisit it on my walk. After wandering around the crowded streets for some time I found my way home again down the maze of dirt alleys that lead to the flat where I am staying. After a quick lunch from Garret I grabbed my shawl and backpack and we headed over to Pashupati, a temple and Hindi sacred ground maybe a 15-20 minute walk from our flat. It has been very warm here lately because the sun is so bright so wearing the mandatory long pants worn by all of the women here can get quite exhausting and sweaty :P On our walk we went alongside a river for part of it where children were bathing naked in the dark, dirty water. Trash had collected in sort of industrial beaver-damn in some of the river bends, creating a pollution swell where the people would bath.

Once at Pashupati we saw an elaborately dressed couple that had evidently just been married. There were many monkeys at the temple and men that had given their lives to dressing up like the god Shiva and sat around in the small temples, praying and meditating. Pashupati is also where they do cremations and along the river there were a few happening at the time. Garret said something like 45 a day happen, or maybe more. After seeing the whole area we made the trek home, by then I was feeling fairly hot and tired from climbing the many stairs at the temple and was ready for a rest. At home I met Cara my other housemate and her friend that had been on Jewish holiday. After a short rest Garret led us down a back way to Chabahil and we went shopping in the street stalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment