Monday, September 9, 2013

My Mummy's in Pokhara

I sit and hear a baby scream and cry
and know a child should never sound like that.

Jhorjina in all of her four year old glory
crying on the front stoop
because Daddy decided he would
take out his anger on her tonight.

We sit and talk about the
darkness we won't ever really
be able to understand.

"My mummy gave this to me"
"My mummy's in Pokhara"

Sit and show me how
you know the whole alphabet
by heart little one,
even if you do stumble over
                 
                          L,    M,    N,    O,    P

Tonight the rain will fall
for you nanu, and tomorrow,
well tomorrow the sun will
strike up the clouds and
dance with the women in red
through the streets.

You may see a cockroach
on your knee tonight,
but I see a beetle,
and with the taste
of that new word in your mouth
you will chatter on in a language
I am yet to understand.




- Dedicated to Jhorjina in admiration of her strength

No comments:

Post a Comment