Sunday, November 17, 2013

11th Day of Walking, 12th Day of Trek

Today was a very long day! I woke up then packed up all of my clothes that were draped all over my room drying, giving the appearance of a cloth rainforest. Today we walked down the dry dirt road leading out of Jomsom for quite a while. It led along a once-great river, now nearly completely dried up, creating a sort of seasonal canyon. Only a few hours in we stopped at a little restaurant and guesthouse next to an apple orchard. I had a good hot cup of milk tea and slice of apple crumble, and then we were off again. We weaved our way through little apple farms, now bare from the coming winter. As we walked the temperature rose, forcing me to shed my layers and wrap my shawl around my head as a makeshift turban and protection from the hot sun. My legs ached with the many days of walking, my music only temporarily distracting me from the pain.

It was quite a nice walk today. There was a beautiful view of the mountains and the warmth was a blessing. We stopped for lunch at a lodge about four hours in, and I ordered a very dissatisfying curry, which pretty much was just watered-down veggies, no spices what so ever. Everything stared to shut down and I felt extremely tired by the end of walking, just as we wandered into the small town of Kalopani. The hostel is fairly nice and I got to have a scorching-hot shower, which felt great. I put menthol on my legs, and now the soreness is gone, but I smell incredibly minty haha. We are all huddled around the large dining room table relaxing now. The dining rooms at guesthouses all have this one big table with a heavy blanket all around the edge and they put a metal bucket of hot coals under the center of the table and everyone sits around the edges under the blanket and get warmed :]

I’m sorry my entries have been incredibly dry these past few days, I’ve been feeling quite tired and uninspired :P Hopefully they will improve!

Ø  I have taken on the restless spirit of someone on the move.

Ø  I only have about ten days left in this country! It’s such a crazy thought, it saddens me, but also excites me :]

Ø  I’m getting so used to being on the move, it’s going to be strange going back to Kathmandu.

Ø  Jake’s birthday is in two days and I have no cell reception :[ I hope I do on the 19th!

Ø  Seven hours of walking completed today!


No comments:

Post a Comment