Thursday, November 14, 2013

8th Day of Walking, 9th Day of Trek

The Walking Day From Hell

            Today we walked from Yak Karka to High Camp. It took around four hours to walk, but felt much, much longer than the usual days because I think that I have AMS. Breathing has become such a struggle, which makes me dizzy, then leads to me feeling nauseated. A lot of the walking today was in fact climbing, which made it even harder, but is something I need to get used to because tomorrow when we go over the pass it will be a ten hour day with the first three plus hours, climbing up to it. After that it plateaus for the short span of a few hours. I think that part of it is windy and cold, probably with a little snow covering. After that we start our descent down to Muktinath and about ten minutes from there, the village where we will be sleeping.

There were so many trekkers on the trail today, all either heading to Thorong Phedi, or making the strenuous climb up to High Camp like we did. I met a group of French trekkers when we were stopped at Thorong Phedi for a bowl of soup and hot cup of black tea. They were staying down below, which was probably for the better since the guesthouse at High Camp has filled up, us being some of the last, putting me in the lowest house, which means the furthest climb to the dining hall and the trailhead tomorrow. Even with the sickness I was complimented on being a strong walker, and beat all of the others to the top that were on the hill when we started.

The good thing about today, and the last few days for that matter, is that it has been incredibly sunny and beautiful. The light of the sun warms you up, and I’ve actually been too hot walking every day to wear my winter coat. I wear a long sleeve shirt, one of my fleeces, and then my green rain jacket to keep off the wind, and it is working out just fine. This makes me less worried about the pass, considering the climb that is going to warm me up in the beginning. This then leads me to be a little worried about sweating, which makes my clothes wet, then when stopped, makes me cold. I know I am rambling; it is hard to keep the words straight in my mind right now.

It feels like a constant dizziness I can’t shake, plus it’s still a bit off trying to breath. Chandra came to my room earlier when I was organizing my stuff and changing into clean clothes that I will be wearing for the next few days and told me not to sleep. He said that if I nap now I would get a terrible headache so I need to force myself to stay awake until night. The dizziness is making me sleepy, plus I woke up about a million and one times last night. I think others are experiencing AMS too though, for everyone looks tired here in the lodge. I am dreading when the sun sets, it is going to be absolutely freezing up here. I set everything out for tomorrow and put on all of my layers when it was still warm. I am wearing two long sleeve shirts, my white fleece, and my warm jacket, and then normal cotton leggings, my fleece leggings, and my warmer trekking pants on bottom.

We leave tomorrow morning around six, maybe earlier, and I plan to put on my other fleece, wrap my wool shawl around me, my neck warmer, fleece headband, both gloves, and hope for the best. I think that I’ll be okay if I just keep moving. This will be my last entry for a few days, it will be too cold tomorrow to write/I will be exhausted by the time I get in tomorrow. They say this is the hardest part and I know that is true. It’s almost the end and after two days I will have to decide whether I want to keep going on to Poon Hill or not. Right now I am tired and cold, and sick, but hopefully my feelings will improve.

With love,

            Addy

No comments:

Post a Comment