Wednesday, November 13, 2013

7th Day of Walking, 8th Day of Trek

            Not much happened today, but I need to write down the date and day number or I will lose it all together. Today we started at our usual early walking time and only walked four hours with many stops. The environment has changed to that similar to Arizona, or a desert, with sparse rough shrubs and many red rocks and endless dust. It doesn’t seem to be that terribly cold yet either, even though we only have one more stop at High Camp, before crossing the Thorong La pass and heading just over the crest to Muktinath. I don’t really like arriving at our post for the night this early in the day though because I usually don’t have much to do. Lately I have been entertaining myself with the book of crossword puzzles that Erika gave me for “the boring times” as inscribed on its cover. Who would’ve known I would get quite so much use out of it :P

It’s pretty lonely traveling by myself, and I know it wasn’t really a choice to begin with, but I really wish I could have a travel buddy. I have made a few friends here and there, but they come and go, we end up going different ways, and stay at different hostels. The big problem is most of the trekkers speak other languages. I have only met a handful of other Americans and was so excited when I did. I am getting used to not understanding people around me, which is strange and ridiculous. For the past three months almost, I have more often than not, been unable to understand those around me. It feels like a whole new level of exclusion, a whole new level of alone. I am in a room of many people, yet am all alone at the same time.

I don’t mean to come off as depressed; it’s just a mix of being hormonal, being terribly homesick, as well as cold, and also having so much down time to lament. Meeting new people every day is exhausting, more than you could imagine. I am starting to crave normalcy, something I never before thought I would want so much; I dream of familiarity, of seeing the same thing when I wake up everyday. The nomadic life is great, but you can only take so much before just wanting to go home, and I think I am ready to go home.

I love you all <3

            Addy

No comments:

Post a Comment